Sunday, June 17, 2012

Small Groups vs. Whole Group Discussions

A teacher must be prepared to instruct the students whether they plan to use a whole group lecture or if they will use small group discussions. Even though, the material that is covered is the same, a teacher must plan differently for each type of discussion.

When a teacher is using a whole group discussion, they must plan to keep the students engaged the entire time they are lecturing. I usually use this type of instruction when I am introducing a new skill or new material. This is where I can instruct the students on how to perform a certain skill and then demonstrate the skill to the whole class. When I am using a whole class discussion, I make sure that I plan each topic that I want to introduce to the class and make sure that I do it in a clear manner. After I have taught the whole class, I often ask questions to ensure that the students where paying attention.

For a small group discussion a teacher must be able to plan so that the students stay engaged while they are in their small groups. With my experience, I have learned that the students can become off task quickly when they are put into small groups. The teacher must be able to plan enough activities or ask enough questions to keep the students on task and working towards the goal of learning the material. I usually use small groups after I have introduced the students to a new skill. This is where they can "fine tune" the material that I went over during the whole group discussion. I walk around and make sure that the students are practicing the skill and correct mistakes that I see. I am a firm believer that the students learn more efficiently when they are performing the skills that they are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment