Saturday, June 30, 2012

Building a rapport

I believe that in order to build a rapport with students with special needs, the teacher must treat that student just like any other student in their classroom. The way I build a rapport with my students is by getting to know them. I will find out what their interests are and try to have conversations about their interests. I do the same thing for special needs students. It may be a little more difficult to get to know these students at times, but I believe that it should be done. I also feel that once you have begun connecting to the students, they will be more willing to work for you. If a student trusts you as a teacher, I feel that they will be more willing to participate and give a greater effort while they are in your classroom. I know that I need to do a better job with this with some of my students with special needs. I need to make sure that they understand that I care about their success. If they can see that I care about them, I believe that I will get more positive results while they are in my classroom. I also need to be careful with this because if I spend too much time with these students, I may single them out from the rest of the class. I believe that these students should receive some special treatment but not go overboard with it. I may help these students out a little more but not enough that it seems like they are getting more attention than the rest of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment