Thursday, June 7, 2012

Multiple Teaching Strategies

I believe to be an effective teacher, one must be able use multiple teaching strategies. This not only enables the teacher to reach more students but it also prevents the students to become bored. By changing teaching strategies, the teacher will be able get to the students who learn in different ways. One student may benefit from lectures or taking notes, while another student must have visual cues and hands on activities to learn the material. If the teacher changes their way of teaching often, more students will be able to retain the information that the teacher is giving them. Also, if the teacher is changes their teaching styles, the students are less likely to become bored. With different teaching strategies, the students are more engaged with what they are learning and therefore, are able to benefit the most. During the weekly discussion, a great point was brought up. "Does changing teaching strategies also keep the teacher from becoming bored?" I had not thought of this but this statement is absolutely right. If the teacher becomes bored, then the students are most likely bored also.

After reading and discussing this topic, I believe that I need to change my teaching styles more often. I believe that it will keep the students engaged and also keep me engaged. The next time I see a student who seems to not get a concept I am trying to teach, I will keep in mind that I need to change the way I am teaching that student. Another point that was made during the discussion was that if a student does not seem to get the material and the teacher has explained it over and over in the same manner, then it is the teacher's fault because they have not changed the way they are teaching the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment